Saturday, August 27, 2005

Getting Linux working in the home


I had been wanting to utilize Linux in my home for a very long time.

There was a time I would download the floppy images with a 486-33 using a 2600 baud modem. Attempting to burn the images using rawrite etc. I do not miss those days.

But for various reasons mainly my own lack of geekiness I didn't commit to full-time Linux on home PC.

Then in 2004 I started picking up Linuxformat magazine and reading it. It had a wealth of information written in a way that allowed a non-unix geek an oppurtunity to learn without being turned off by pages and pages of : GRUB LILO FSCK KDE GEVERYTHING etc.

The main problem for noobs is that it is nearly impossible to wade thru all the techspeak in most forums. The magazine helped and it came with DVD on every issue with a distro onboard.

Between reading the articles about the distro and having them in my hand I decided to give it a try.

I bought a second harddrive. I wanted my windozeXP and my Linux separate. Since my Win HDD was 70 gig I bought a second 70 gig HDD and slaved it in.

The first distro i tried was SUSE Linux 9.0 and I hated it. My optical mouse had to replugged in after booting. It couldn't read my HDA drive (windows) and it just felt buggy and unrefined

Several renditions of Fedora etc followed.

I finally went out and purchased SUSE 9.3 professional and I love it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home